Friday, February 22, 2019

2019 WINNER: Roma (yawn)

Final Prediction:

1. ROMA (yawn). 85%
2. SHOPLIFTERS 6%
3. COLD WAR 5%
4. NEVER LOOK AWAY 3%
5. CAPERNAUM 1%


Frankly, I don't understand all the Oscar love for "Roma". I'm happy that Yalitza Aparicio got nominated (she was great) and the B&W cinematography certainly is beautiful. It's a nice movie to be sure....But I certainly preferred the devastating family drama of "Shoplifters" (Japan) and "Capernaum" (Lebanon), as well as "Cold War" (Poland). I felt "Roma" was the weakest of the four. I also preferred the shortlisted "The Guilty" and "Birds of Passage".....though I probably would have ranked "Roma" ahead of "Burning". 

I was never able to find the time to see "Never Look Away" (Germany), with its three hour running time and eleventh-hour release date, or "Ayka" (Kazakhstan).  

1 comment:

Nitin Mishra said...

thank for sharing such a informative knowledge with usFilm Festival in India, Award show and culture Film festival in India in which artists in many different categories are awarded for their amazing work in their Respected field.